PCGen is an open source character generator for role-playing games. It currently is aimed at supporting as many RPGs as is humanly possible. The project’s current focus is on OGL games (OGL is Wizards of the Coast’s Open Gaming License). PCGen runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Unix/Linux using Java 1.4/1.5.
PCGen has released its first Beta (5.13.11) for the upcoming 5.14 production release. Since the 5.10.x series began, the PCGen developers have managed to put out increasingly polished production releases. An important aspect in getting that polished release was the enthusiasm and support the PCGen community gave in testing release. If you are interested testing the beta sign up for the Yahoo! group at PCGen News and Notes.
Then go download the beta at SourceForge.
Notes from the beta test call to action:
So it’s time to challenge our team once more! We’d love for as many of you to Download the Beta, install it:
- Separately from your production version of course!
- Also make sure that the ‘pcgen directory‘ it prompts you to pick on initial start up is _not_ the same as what you use for your current production. You can always copy in option.ini files etc if need be.
And then use it as you normally would! We want you to do things like:
- Transfer over your existing characters
- Output your character in the various different output sheets
- Try some new data sources!
- Explore every Tab and every option that you can get your paws on
As they propose to support OGL games we can perhaps expect to see Mongoose RuneQuest support at some point. Of course if you are just interested in checking out the beta you can download it from SourceForge anyway.